Friday 30 October 2009

Being an Involuntary Twitter Spammer

This week, together with many others, I’ve become a target of hackers on Twitter. Unfortunately, I didn’t see it coming! Why was that? Aren’t I experienced enough in the online world to assume that not everyone wants to network but also make my day a real pain and laugh like mad on my account? I must admit my 6th sense failed this time.



I received an innocently looking DM from @thegreenmama. She is really interesting person to follow so when she DMd me I didn’t find anything wrong and I clicked on the link that was added to her tweet. Yeah this was only the beginning. The link was phishing. And I stupidly enough entered my log-in details. Someone kick me right now please!! But nobody did...

 
After few hours many people @ or DMd me that my account was compromised. The number of DMs went from 50 to 65 in just 20 minutes and even more came later. This would be fantastic if it was in any other occasion. I did change my password as soon as I found out but still felt very ashamed for having to apologise for my stupidity. Sorry folks one more time!





I’ve changed my opinion about social media after this. They are fantastic, can give us lots of freedom, let us ‘meet’ all sorts of great people but in the same time they can compromise our credibility and literally ruin our online lives within seconds. Something we all have been building for months can be gone in a blink of the eye. Poor @thegreenmama, I don’t think that she noticed the attack on her Twitter account because I’ve just received another suspicious DM from her. Please, somebody tell her! I tried but no luck...



As I said, I am going to come back down to Earth now and see if I can save the broken bits of my social media presence. I need your trust in me and my decisions. I failed once, I‘ve learned from my mistakes and I will be much more careful from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch dear, it sucks. Unfortunately there are thousands people like you. Everybody can make a mistake. You will never do it again I hope. I can show you the way how to reveal these phising pages if you want... However it's not user friendly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...